Table of Contents
- Range Confidence: Charge Fast, Drive Far, on Electricity
- Learning Range Confidence
- Step 1 - Map your trips to know how far you need to drive
- Step 2 - Know your local EV charging terrain
- Step 3 - Getting around town with your electric vehicle
- Step 4 - Set up charging at home, at work, or nearby
- Step 5 - Prefer electric cars with fast charging
- Step 6 - Charging station network memberships and smart phone apps
- Solving range anxiety in daily driving - putting range confidence into practice
- Autonomy and electric driving freedom
- Charging station etiquette - effectively sharing limited electric car charging resources
- Electric vehicle range and charging infrastructure
- Energy storage, energy consumption, weather and electric car driving range
- Total driving range in electric cars: plug-in hybrid versus fast charging
- What happens if an electric vehicle runs out of power in a city with no charging stations?
- Why doesn't the dashboard show accurate range?
- Battery pack age, and capacity loss
- How does EPA estimate electric car driving range?
- Understanding the EPA ratings label for electric cars
- Charging electric cars in public
- Understanding charging rates and effective trip speed
- What electric car charging rate do we need at home, at the office, on road trips, at airports, or elsewhere?
- Can you drive an electric car away from charging network coverage areas?
- What charging networks exist? ChargePoint? Plugshare?
- A Field Guide to electric vehicle service equipment (EVSE's)
- Is it bad to charge an electric car with an extension cord?
- How do I pay for energy consumed in charging my electric vehicle?
- How do electric car charging station networks make money?
- Electric car fast charging held back by standards battle between CHAdeMO, Combo Charging System and Tesla Supercharger
- Electric car fast charging required for widespread EV adoption
- Smart-phone apps for finding electric car charging station networks
- Known electric car charging networks around the world
- What to do if the charging cord is stuck, cannot be removed
- Getting and installing at home electric car charging equipment
- Installing cheap/inexpensive electric car charging at home
- How to plan for and install 240 volt circuit to charge an electric car/vehicle?
- Fast charging your electric car at home
- Apartment/Condo dwellers - what to do if you cannot charge at home
- How-to: 240 volts when all you have is 120 volt outlets
- The best electric car charging stations for home charging or on trips
- A brief study of EV Ownership Economics
- Electric car charging technology
- Charging levels - Level 1, Level 2, DC Fast Charging, etc
- EV DC Fast Charging standards – CHAdeMO, CCS, SAE Combo, Tesla Supercharger, etc
- EV AC Fast Charging Systems – Renault ZOE, Smart ED
- Fast charge adapters are possible, but how many really need CHAdeMO-CCS adapters?
- Why does charging a battery take so long? Hint: reversible electrochemical reactions cannot be rushed
- Wouldn't battery swapping be preferable over waiting to recharge?
- Can an electric car be charged while driving? Such as a battery pack in a trailer?
- When will electric cars charge as fast as a gasoline car? (5 minutes to recharge)
- What is the technical limitations on maximum electric car charging rate, why is the Tesla Supercharger limited to 120 kW?
- Safely use Extension Cords when charging an electric car or electric motorcycle
- Informal electric car charging at any power outlet, versus a regular charging station
- When are electric car extension cords required?
- Electric car charging within electrical code and power outlet limits
- Is it safe to charge an electric car in the rain?
- Why do all-electric cars not have a small (efficient) generator for a limp home to ease range anxiety?
- Why is there a 12 volt lead-acid battery, and how is it charged in an electric car?
- About the Author - David Herron
Copyright © 2016-17 by David Herron
Printed in the United States of America
First Printing, 2017
David Herron Santa Clara, California 95050
Range Confidence is Copyright © 2016-17 by David Herron