The development of the Lithium-Ion battery became a tipping point that has started to make electric vehicles practical. These batteries have more energy density than other types of batteries, and energy density is important in determining how much you can do with your vehicle.
- A123 Venture Technologies to collaborate with SolidEnergy on safer, high-energy battery chemistry; potentially up to ~800 Wh/kg
- A123 Systems financial troubles and bankruptcy
/ev-batteries/diy/index.html: The development of the Lithium-Ion battery became a tipping point that has started to make electric vehicles practical. The technology is readily enough that people can build their own battery packs, or their own cars, or their own solar arrays.
- Building DIY "Powerwall" using 18650 cells Tesla Motors makes it look easy, just throw a bunch of 18650 cells in a box and call it a battery pack. Some, therefore, decide to build their own at home. These videos demonstrate the ideas, but I would not follow all their recommendations. For example, a BMS is extremely important.
- PolyPlus lithium-air and lithium-water batteries
- Tesla Motors' hybrid battery pack system for extended range A patent application (US 20130181511A1) covering a battery pack design using lithium-ion and metal-air batteries to implement much longer driving range.
- Electric vehicle battery pack reuse in the smart grid