Welcome to Green Transportation .info
We're experiencing the greatest transformation in the transportation system since the early 1900's when gasoline powered cars triumphed over electric. Lithium battery chemistries have enabled electrified transportation to finally catch up with gasoline, giving designers more vehicle design options. At the same time concerns about the environment, health effects of burning fossil fuels, greenhouse gas emissions, energy security, oil supply, peak oil, land use, resource utilization and more are forcing us to reconsider the design of the transportation system.
What is 'Green' Transportation?
- Sustainability: No pollution? Minimizing effects?
- How: Changing the drive train? Changing fuel types? Changing vehicle types? Wiser vehicle use? Mass transit?
- Why: Global warming, environmental damage, Health damage, land use
|Effects of the current system
- Benefits: economic fluidity, rapid transportation, individual freedom
- Environmental degradation
- Health diminishment Fossil fuel health risks
- Global warming
- Loss of open space
- Use of nonrenewable resources
|Why change the transportation system?
- Environmental threats forcing transportation system changes (TBD)
- Health effects forcing transportation system changes (TBD)
- Climate effects forcing transportation system changes (TBD)
Changing the transportation normalthink
|Well/Mine to Wheel to Air/Ground/Water
Analyzing effects from well to wheel to air (the long tailpipe)
Land use impacts of the transportation system
- Mining / Drilling
- Transporting fuel, before refining, after refining
- Refining fuels for use
- Effects along each step
- Effects on air, ground or water from fuel use
- Health effects of pollutants
- Effects at point of use: Tailpipe emissions, noise pollution, fuel leaks, A/C systems leaks, Vehicle efficiency, Tires, brakes, Runoff from roads, Traffic accident deaths, Tension from Driving
Types of vehicle drive trains: Hybrid electric vehicles, Plug-in hybrid electric vehicles
Electric vehicles are cheaper to drive or operate than gasoline or diesel vehicles
|There are many kinds of Transportation types, each with its own trade-offs and values and roles. Ideally the transportation type chosen for a trip should match the trip being taken. However most are at this time choosing to drive a car when other transportation types would make sense.
Mass Transit and Carpooling
What is the true price of gasoline? Should it cost $10 per gallon?
|Electric Vehicle Charging Systems
Electric vehicle charging and usage scenarios
Peak oil and the peaking of all resources
Neodymium, Dysprosium, and rare earth metals in green transportation
Land use impacts
- Parking lots
- Reduced taxes because roads take up land space
- What's the best land use?
|Freedom from Oil
Human scale cities and transportation, for cleaner, quieter cities, for healthier people
Books and Reports about electric vehicle viability
Green Transportation Books and Movies
Lifestyle choices and Marketing messages
Find jobs in Battery pack design, Battery management system, EV Battery Systems, Electric Vehicle Infrastructure, Electric vehicle technician, Hybrid vehicle Systems, Hybrid vehicle technician, Electric vehicle test, Electric motor design, Fuel Cells
Find jobs at Mission Motors, Vectrix, Tesla Motors, Fisker Automotive, Coda Automotive, Chrysler (Electric Vehicles), Ford (Electric Vehicles), General Motors (Electric Vehicles), Nissan (Electric Vehicles), Proterra, Wrightspeed, Remy International, Atieva, A123 Systems, Dow Kokam, Leyden Energy, Nanosys, Aerovironment, Currie Technologies, eVgo / NRG, Argonne National Laboratory (Vehicles), National Renewable Energy National Laboratory (Vehicles)
page revision: 41, last edited: 06 Dec 2012 05:31