For the last 40 years or more U.S. Presidents have launched program after program promising us freedom from oil. The U.S. addiction to oil causes a number of problems, but if your mind goes "hunh!!" when reading "addiction to oil" let me remind you of GW Bush's 2006 State of the Union address in which he declared that "America is addicted to gas and oil" then went on to unveil a list of weak ineffectual programs that gave an illusion of trying to solve the problem.
To my mind we must stop using oil, and the need to do so it non-negotiable, but clearly most people will need a reason. That's what we'll be covering in this section, as well as some solutions:
- Balance of trade
- Peak Oil
- Climate change
- Burning things to get around is primitive
- Air, Water, Ground, Noise pollution
- Reducing oil use with better fuel efficiency
- Weaning off oil use, gradually transitioning to other fuels
- Cold turkey, switch off oil use now
- Complete re-think of the transportation paradigm including other transportation modes than individuals driving cars
"America is addicted to oil" - Looking back at the State of the Union, 2006 http://www.7gen.com/blog/20080620/24349-podcast
- 2012 Progress Report For Reducing or Displacing the Consumption of Petroleum Products by the California State Fleet
- Will we get freedom from oil through fuel efficient cars and trucks?
- What is the true price of gasoline? Should it cost $10 per gallon?
- The Coal Problem
Hydraulic Fracturing information
- United States State Department Bureau of Energy ResourcesThe USA is deeply interested in exporting Fracking technology to any country around the world with shale gas deposits. The Bureau of Energy Resources is the group in charge of that work.
- Hydraulic Fracturing (fracturare hidraulica) in Romania's shale gas (gaze de sist) formationsRomania is one of the target's for hydraulic fracturing development. Several Western Oil companies are already active in the country, and there is a growing protest movement.
What is Hydraulic Fracturing / Fracking / Acidizing
- Costs of Fracking for Oil and Gas This event on Horizontal Hydraulic Fracturing ("Fracking") for Oil and Gas was filmed on February 12, 2012 at the Universalist Unitarian Church in Denver, Colorado.
- WARNING Fracking An Inconvenient Truth Possibly alarmist explanation of hydraulic fracturing risks.
- Marathon Oil explains that Hydraulic Fracturing is safe and beneficial Can you say "downplaying risks"?
- Truth about Fracking - Wes Wilson - Phil Doe Retired EPA engineer Wes Wilson and retired Bureau of Reclamation official Phil Doe were invited to Colorado Springs to share their knowledge about drilling and hydraulic fracturing (also called fracking). Public interest was so great not everyone wishing to attend could be accommodated, so we're sharing video of the event here. The videos are courtesy of GrowthBusters.
- Fuel efficiency