For the last 40 years or more U.S. Presidents have launched program after program promising us freedom from oil. The U.S. addiction to oil causes a number of problems, but if your mind goes "hunh!!" when reading "addiction to oil" let me remind you of GW Bush's 2006 State of the Union address in which he declared that "America is addicted to gas and oil" then went on to unveil a list of weak ineffectual programs that gave an illusion of trying to solve the problem.
To my mind we must stop using oil, and the need to do so it non-negotiable, but clearly most people will need a reason. That's what we'll be covering in this section, as well as some solutions:
- Balance of trade
- Peak Oil
- Climate change
- Burning things to get around is primitive
- Air, Water, Ground, Noise pollution
- Reducing oil use with better fuel efficiency
- Weaning off oil use, gradually transitioning to other fuels
- Cold turkey, switch off oil use now
- Complete re-think of the transportation paradigm including other transportation modes than individuals driving cars
"America is addicted to oil" - Looking back at the State of the Union, 2006 http://www.7gen.com/blog/20080620/24349-podcast
- 2012 Progress Report For Reducing or Displacing the Consumption of Petroleum Products by the California State Fleet
- Will we get freedom from oil through fuel efficient cars and trucks?
- What is the true price of gasoline? Should it cost $10 per gallon?
- The Coal Problem
- Fuel efficiency